Search for

Advanced search
 
Home 15 November 2019
Culture Traditional forms of Art - Professions Wood sculpture Wood sculpture of Metsovo Wood sculptured works Epirus Metsovo

Columns at the base of the Pulpit, Church of Aghios Demetrios at Frangades (1779)
(Photo: Triantaphyllos Sioulis)
Vestibule for the Pulpit, Church of Aghios Demetrios at Frangades (1779)
(Photo: Triantaphyllos Sioulis)
Pulpit, Church for the Repose of the Virgin Mary at Chrysobitsa (1780)
(Photo: Triantaphyllos Sioulis)
Columns at the base of the Pulpit, Church of Aghios Nikolaos At Tsepelovo (1764)
(Photo: Triantaphyllos Sioulis)
Vestibule for the Pulpit, Church of Aghios Nikolaos at Tsepelovo (1764)
(Photo: Triantaphyllos Sioulis)
Pulpit, Church of Aghios Nikolaos at Tsepelovo (1764)
(Photo: Triantaphyllos Sioulis)
Top of the base for the small Pulpit, Church of Aghia Paraskevi at Metsovo (mid C 19th)
(Photo: Triantaphyllos Sioulis)
Top of the base for the large Pulpit, Church of Aghia Paraskevi at Metsovo (mid C 19th)
(Photo: Triantaphyllos Sioulis)
Vestibule for the large and the small Pulpit, Church of Aghia Paraskevi at Metsovo (mid C 19th)
(Photo: Triantaphyllos Sioulis)
Small Pulpit, Church of Aghia Paraskevi at Metsovo (mid C 19th)
(Photo: Triantaphyllos Sioulis)
Large Pulpit, Church of Aghia Paraskevi at Metsovo (1750-1760)
(Photo: Triantaphyllos Sioulis)

Audio-Video files
No audio or video files.

Useful links
Geographic map of Ioannina Prefecture with the works of Metsovo and Tournovo wood sculptors
Geographic map of Ioannina Prefecture with the works of Metsovo and Tournovo wood sculptors

Other files
No other files.
Topics
Wood sculptured works
LOCATION
Epirus
Metsovo
Wood sculptured works: Subtopics All topics
There are no more subtopics under the current topic

14/11/2006
Pulpits

Triantaphyllos Sioulis

© Ioannina Prefecture
print preview

The pulpit constituted an inseparable section in the liturgical life of the church, as with the iconostases and the Despotic thrones.
In older times it had been marble, however in the subsequent years the pulpit was transformed into a wood sculptured piece of furniture that was positioned in the north section in the central area of the main church, high up on the wall or on a column. We can see these types for example in the churches of Aghios Demetrios at Frangades, of Aghios Nikolaos at Kepoi of Zagorion, of Aghios Charalambos at Preveza, etc., through the influence of the Western models in the Baroque period.
Later they also employed two pulpits in many churches, to the right and left of the enclosure with railings that separated the solea from the main church. Wherever there were two pulpits, from the lower would read the Apostle and from the higher, which was also more decorative, the Gospel, as we have seen for example in the church of Aghia Paraskevi at Metsovo. Wherever there was one pulpit the Gospel was read higher up and the Apostle from some lower step.
This is also the position for the pulpits in the Epirus area in the post Byzantine period, which we have encountered from the 17th century onwards especially when two types of pulpits were developed, the pyramid shaped, such as that at Aghia Paraskevi at Metsovo etc. and the ciborium shaped, such as at the Repose of the Virgin Mary at Chrysobitsa, Repose of the Virgin Mary at Prosgolion etc.
In relation to their decoration, as with the other furniture of the church (Despotic thrones and icon stands), which were usually created by the same craftsmen, which follow the decorative on the iconostases.