Search for

Advanced search
 
Home 20 February 2020
Culture Traditional forms of Art - Professions Wood sculpture Representative works Epirus Metsovo

The Sorrowful, Church of Aghios Nikolaos at Skamneli (1690)
(Photo: Trinataphyllos Sioulis)
Details from the relief zones in the entablature, Church of Aghios Nikolaos at Skamneli (1690)
(Photo: Triantaphyllos Sioulis)
Details from the relief zones in the entablature, Church of Aghios Nikolaos at Skamneli (1690)
(Photo: Triantaphyllos Sioulis)
Epithyron for the Sacred Porte, Church of Aghios Nikolaos at Skamneli (1690)
(Photo: Triantaphyllos Sioulis)
Epithyron for the door to the Offertory, Church of Aghios Nikolaos at Skamneli (1690)
Lectern, Church of Aghia Paraskevi at Skamneli (C 17th)
(Photo: Triantaphyllos Sioulis)

Audio-Video files
No audio or video files.

Useful links
Geographic map of Ioannina Prefecture with the works of Metsovo and Kapesovo wood sculptors
Geographic map of Ioannina Prefecture with the works of Metsovo and Kapesovo wood sculptors

Other files
No other files.
Topics
Representative works
Wood sculpture of Metsovo
Wood sculpture of Gorgopotamos
LOCATION
Epirus
Gorgopotamos
Metsovo
Representative works: Subtopics All topics
There are no more subtopics under the current topic

14/11/2006
Monastery of Aghios Nikolaos at Skamneli

Triantaphyllos Sioulis

© Prefecture of Ioannina
print preview

At Skamneli a town of Zagorion there is also the Monastery of Aghios Nikolaos. In accordance with information it was established in 1683 A.D. by three monks from Aghia Paraskevi, the other, older monastery at the town. According to Athenagoras the Metropolitan of Paramythia, the church was built in 1697: «1697 is the year that the church was built». The exquisite wood sculpture in the church has been dated to circa 1690. On the church floor we observe an inlaid slab with two homocentric circles, which carried in the internal circle the engraved inscription: «in the year of 1731 through the expenses of Eustace (?) ». It probably relates to the tear that the church was restored.