Search for

Advanced search
 
Home 23 January 2020
Culture Traditional forms of Art - Professions Wood sculpture Representative works Epirus Metsovo

Epithyron for the Sacred Porte and detail from the entablature, Church for the Repose of the Virgin Mary at Skamneli (1708)
(Photo: Triantaphyllos Sioulis)
The Sorrowful, Church for the Repose of the Virgin Mary at Skamneli (1708)
(Photo: Triantaphyllos Sioulis)
Detail of the column, Church for the Repose of the Virgin Mary at Skamneli (1708)
(Photo: Triantaphyllos Sioulis)
Epithyron for the door to the Offertory and relief entablature zones, Church for the Repose of the Virgin Mary at Skamneli (1708)
(Photo: Triantaphyllos Sioulis)
Vemothyra for the Sacred Porte, Church for the Repose of the Virgin Mary at Skamneli (1708)
(Photo: Ttriantaphyllos Sioulis)
Details of the small icons on the entablature, Church for the Repose of the Virgin Mary at Skamneli (1708)
(Photo: Triantaphyllos Sioulis)
Candlesticks, Church for the Repose of the Virgin Mary at Skamneli (1708)
(Photo: Triantaphyllos Sioulis)

Audio-Video files
No audio or video files.

Useful links
Geogrpahic map of Ioannina Prefecture with the works of Metsovo and Tournovo wood sculptors
Geogrpahic map of Ioannina Prefecture with the works of Metsovo and Tournovo wood sculptors

Other files
No other files.
Topics
Representative works
Wood sculpture of Metsovo
Wood sculpture of Gorgopotamos
LOCATION
Epirus
Gorgopotamos
Metsovo
Representative works: Subtopics All topics
There are no more subtopics under the current topic

14/11/2006
Church for the Repose of the Virgin Mary at Skamneli

Triantaphyllos Sioulis

© Prefecture of Ioannina
print preview

The Church for the Repose of the Virgin Mary at Skamneli in Zagorion has been mentioned in a list of Stavropegiake monasteries that was published by Gideon, the Head Archivist for the Patriarchates, as the «Holy Monastery to the Most Holy Virgin Mary at Skamneli – Zagorion». It would appear that at some time in the past the church had been a monastery, on the basis of the «Supreme and Angelic Legion of the Monks » that exists behind the main entry to the church. The magnificent iconostasis at the church has been dated to 1708.