Search for

Advanced search
 
Home 12 December 2019
Culture Traditional forms of Art - Professions Silver work Epirus Metsovo

Silver object
Silver object
Silver object
Silver object
View of a silver shop
View of a silver shop window
Silver jewelry
Silver jewelry
Silver jewelry
Silver jewelry
Silver jewelry
Silver object
Silver object

Audio-Video files
No audio or video files.

Useful links
No links.

Other files
No other files.
Topics
made of stone
textliles
Silver work
Wood sculpture
Hagiography - Painting
LOCATION
Epirus
Ioannina
Metsovo
Syrako and Kalarrytes
Silver work: Subtopics All topics
There are no more subtopics under the current topic

10/09/2007
Metsovo

comitech

print preview

Metsovo was an important center during the period of Turkish domination. Its strategic position in monitoring the road from Ioannina to the plains of Thessaly ensured its residents a preferential status quo since the years of the Roman Empire and later of the Byzantine but also of the Ottoman empires. 1830 is the first time its reference is found in a document while in 1430 it received many concessions by the Sultan Murat B´, which were renewed in 1659. These concessions and the relative autonomy of the area created the preconditions of an economic growth that continued until the end of the Ottoman occupation. The products of the area were channeled to the ottoman market as well as to European markets. Among the articles produced was also silverware, without however having any knowledge of the names of associated craftsmen.
It is characteristic that in 1719 a French commercial firm settled in Metsovo with the goal of purchasing and exporting local products, among which were silver implements, which were greatly sought after in the Balkans and in Europe. This fact is a testament to the value of the Metsovian silverware and consequently of the quality and technical ability of the silver craftsmen.
Of them, we know some names, such as Kyrkos Lakkas (1844-1936), who, being one of the last experts of a century old tradition, offered his knowledge as professor at the School of Silverwork of the G. Stavrou Orphanage in Ioannina.