GRAMMENOHORIA / SECULAR ARCHITECTURE
stones everywhere, hewn stones, stones in piles, rooted, scattered on the ground wastefully, as if the hand of God scattered them in a moment of anger
Stephanis Bettis, Ta Grammenohoria, 1961
Stone walls dominate here. The double activity of the residents, farming and stock-farming, requires the enclosure of farm land and homes. The local white stone, which is to be found scattered everywhere, offers the material that in the hands of craftsmen acquires monumental proportions with respect to size and durability.
The region does not have much water. However, on the border with Kourenta, where Smolitsas, the branch of Kalamas, flows, 3 water mills, near Lefkothea formerly served the residents.
When the French consul Puqueville visited the area in the beginning of the 19th century, he wondered how a well served 130 families. There are not many wells in Grammenohoria, there were cisterns in homes, however, and small pools for livestock.
Two wells in the surrounding area of the old Housekeeping School in Grammeno have been designated listed historical monuments.
Two wells are situated in front of the St. Nicholaos church.
There is a tower in Lefkothea. The first reference to this tower is in 1367.
The building of the old Housekeeping school in Grammeno has been designated a listed monument.
The building of the former Gorgoleios School at Polylofos has been designated a listed monument.
The residencies of the great national benefactors Zoi Kaplani and the Zosima family in their home town Grammeno.