Search for

Advanced search
 
Home 17 November 2019
Culture Architecture Epirus Ioannina

Another view of the Tzavella house.
The neoclassical Lazaridi house on Korai Street which was built in the 19th century.
The Katsadima house on Georgiou Stavrou square, a unique example of provincial eclecticism with many art nouveau elements, built in 1909.
Another view of the Katsadima house.
The Zosimaia Academy on Dodonis Avenue, built in 1938. Until the late 1970s it housed the Educational Academy of the same name and the Philosophical School until 1964. It currently houses 2 elementary schools and 1 high school.
Another view of the Zosimaia academy
The Zosimaia School on Zosimadon street, a neoclassical building erected in 1905. To stress its importance, the architect gave it the same forefront as the National Kapodistrian University of Athens. It currently houses schools
The George Stratos orphanage on Anexartisias Street built in the 19th century. It is no longer an orphanage
The commercial school on Dodoni Avenue, a neoclassical building built in 1970 which was influenced by French architecture. It was initially the home of the governor of Ioannina, then the British Consulate and currently it houses the city’s high school
Another view of the commercial school
The Hatjikosta hospital on Aghiou Nikolaou Street which was built in 1907 to replace the one built in 1845. It currently houses various public services
Another view of the Hatjikosta hospital.
The army recruitment building on Dodoni Avenue. An ottoman building, it currently houses the local GNTO offices.
The old town hall on Bizaniou street built in 1890. It is currently home to the city’s municipal conservatory
The Maneka Serai (or inn) on Anexartisias Street
The Skorda Serai on Tsirigoti stree in the Kritharopazaro was restored and was annexed to the shopping center constructed on the plot belonging tothe serai
The Liabei arcade on Anexartisias and Kaniggos streets
Another view of the LIabei arcade
The Liabei arcade on Anexartisias street
The Louli arcade on Anexartisias Street. It has now been transformed into an entertainment area.
The Litharitsas Fort in the Litharitsia park in the center of the town built in 1808, the cellars and walls of the dilapidated complex were restored by the Association of Epirotic Studies under the chairmanship of Kostas Frontzou and now operates as an en
Another view of the Litharitsas Fort.
The Koukounari residence on Karamanlis Street, a Jewish buildings with neoclassical elements. It currently houses the Athanasios Vrelis Wax Museum
The entrance to the Koukounari residence
The Vrosgos Inn on Anexartisias Street, a listed monument.
Another view of the Vrosgos Inn
The Dodoni Inn on Anexartisias and Karaiskaki Streets, which has many neoclassical elements such as the door posts, the moldings and ornate frames and stone coigns
Another view of the Dodoni Inn.
The Tsoulis Inn on Aeotrachis and Ethnikis Antistaseos Streets.
Another view of the Tsoulis Inn
The Thanopoulos Inn on Kaniggos street at the Kritharopazaro, with a spacious back yard and traditional elements
Another view of the Thanopoulos Inn
TheAlieos arcade on Anexartisias street
The Houseof the Despot on Pindarou street. This is the only 18th century mansion to have been left standing after the fire in 1820. It was the home of the Metropolitan of Ioannina for many years and a unique specimen of the local architecture
Another view of the House of the Despot.
Another view of the House of the Despot.
The Pirsinella Mansion on Aravantinou and Papazoglou streets, a listed monument built in 1830. It was restored in 1994 and currently houses the offices of the Regional Municipal Theater of Ioannina and the Traditional Instruments and Organ section of the
Another view of the Pirsinella Mansion.
Another view of the Pirsinella Mansion.
The Stamata house on Soutsou street, a listed monument. The ground floor was a tannery which belonged to the owner.
Another view of the Stamata house.
The Misiou house on Asopiou street, a listed monument built in 1840 which currently houses a section of the Internal Revenue Service
Another view of the Misiou house
The Varzeli house on the Archiepiskopos SPyridonos square, a listed building constructed in 1850.
The Mekkio Orphanage on Tsakalof street, an austere, simple 1890 building donated by its last owner D. Mekkios to the “Zoodochos Pigi” botherhood, which installed the weaving school and boarding school there. It is a listed monument.
The Speggos house (Samouel Street) A typical 19th century bourgeois house.
Another view of the Speggos house
Another view of the Speggos house
The Michaelides house on Asopiou street, a listed 19th century monument,
Another view of the Michaelides house
The Olympia Theater or Café Theater on Anexartisias Street, a listed monument.
The Filharmonic Building – tne former Public Maternity Hopsital on Dodoni Avenue, a neovclassical building built in 1894 which currently houses the Philharmonic Society and the Traditional Dance section of the Ioannina Municipal Intellectual Center
The Old Military Hospital on Dodoni Avenue, a typical simple military building which was renovated in 1990. It currently houses the Art Workshop an the “Roda” Centre for Creative Activities for Children of the Ioannina Municipal Intellectual Center.

Audio-Video files
No audio or video files.

Useful links
No links.

Other files
No other files.
Topics
Greek benefactors
Traditional houses and buildings of Epirus
Traditional bridges of Epirus
Publications on the traditional bridges of Epirus
Fotis Rapakousis Museum
Photographical Collections
Artists of Ioannina
Festivals
Folkloric elements
Settlements
Music and dancing traditions
Professions
Christian monuments
Museums
Archaeological sites and monuments
Traditional forms of Art - Professions
History
Mythology
Religion
Folklore - customs and manners
Personalities
Museum Objects
Castles - Towers
Architecture
Jewish Monuments
Islamic Monuments
LOCATION
Epirus
Ano Louros and Western Xerovouni
Ano Kalamas
Grammenochoria (the Grammeno villages)
Zagori
Ioannina
Kampochoria
Katsanochoria
Konitsa
Kourenta Ntouskara
Lakka Souli
Metsovo
Pogoni
The Peristeri villages
Tzoumerka
Architecture: Subtopics All topics
There are no more subtopics under the current topic

28/01/2008
IOANNINA/ SECULAR ARCHITECTURE

Under Construction

print preview

All modern visitors are impressed by the local architecture, whether it be middle class or working class, traditional or neoclassical. As in many towns of Greece, present day architecture has to a large extent replaced past architecture, the ill understood practical spirit has replaced good taste, short term interests have replaced long term interests. However, Ioannina has many listed buildings which have been well preserved and house public services, artistic and educational activities, schools, libraries, museums, art galleries, collections, even cafes, bars and restaurants. Whole roads have well preserved with lively old houses, bakeries, and shops. From the picturesque buildings of Soutsou Street whose narrow facades are cramped one next to the other, differing from one another in colour, or ornament, to the stately mansions with countless rooms and impressive entrances at Kountouriotou Street, where once the wealthy Israelis of Ioannina lived. In the extension of Kountouriotou Street, Joseph Eligia Street, which in the present day is the heart of the small Israeli community, lower-middle class houses bear the stamp of the local traditional architecture with the characteristic railings in the windows, lively colours, perfect proportions, wise symetry. Anexartisias Street, with its inns, its famous archades, lively works of art evoking memories, the bronze workshops, where bells are still made, the tiny shops with a Liliputian residence on the roof. Buildings that have something to say, that tell a story, prophecy, mark the future. Already one of the most beautiful archades of Anexartisias Street has been transformed into a space housing artistic activities and meetings with exceptional success and good taste. What makes the town unique is its Castle which has never ceased to be inhabited since its foundation, and which is interesting from an architectural point of view. The Castle is the place where the three cultures, Jewish, Christian, and Muslim, of course mainly the latter, left their indelible marks (see the map). The modern town has many interesting buildings, the most important among them being the Archeological Museum, built in the 1960s by one of the most important Greek architects of the inter-war period, Aris Konstantinidis. The combination of stone and concrete and iron, traditional and modern styles, characteristic of the personal style of the artist, was incorporated wholly in the architectural and natural landscape of the city. You cannot say the same about the incorporation of exhibits in the interior, which according to experts posed important problems, which it seems the reorganisation of the Museum is about to solve. For the time being it remains closed, due to the reorganisation work.