Search for

Advanced search
 
Home 23 February 2020
Culture Christian monuments Epirus Ano Louros and Western Xerovouni

The Monastery of St. Nicholas Sklivanis

Audio-Video files
No audio or video files.

Useful links
No links.

Other files
No other files.
Topics
Greek benefactors
Traditional houses and buildings of Epirus
Traditional bridges of Epirus
Publications on the traditional bridges of Epirus
Fotis Rapakousis Museum
Photographical Collections
Artists of Ioannina
Festivals
Folkloric elements
Settlements
Music and dancing traditions
Professions
Christian monuments
Museums
Archaeological sites and monuments
Traditional forms of Art - Professions
History
Mythology
Religion
Folklore - customs and manners
Personalities
Museum Objects
Castles - Towers
Architecture
Jewish Monuments
Islamic Monuments
LOCATION
Epirus
Ano Louros and Western Xerovouni
Ano Kalamas
Grammenochoria (the Grammeno villages)
Dodonochoria (the Dodoni villages)
Zagori
Zitsa
Lake Pamvotis and the Nissi (the lake island)
Ioannina
Kampochoria
Katsanochoria
Konitsa
Kourenta Ntouskara
Lakka Souli
Metsovo
District of Preveza
Pogoni
The Peristeri villages
Tzoumerka
Christian monuments: Subtopics All topics

31/01/2008
ANO LOUROS AND DITIKO XIROVOUNI REGION/CHRISTIAN MONUMENTS

comitech

print preview

St. Paraskevi Church at Aghia Triada:
The St. Paraskevi Church (18th century) at Aghia Triada has been designated a listed building.
*architecture, church, listed building

St. Nicholaos Church of Kouklesi:
Near the Ioannina – Athens national road, the St. Nicholaos church (19th century) is one of the few examples of traditional architecture in the Ano Louros valley. It has been designated a listed monument.
*architecture, church, listed building

St. Nicholaos Church of Sklivani:
A dirt track, on the left of the Ioannina Sklivani road, leads to a fort style monastery dedicated to St. Nicholaos. In the high stone built enclosure is the old area of the congregation, a basiclica with a one sided slanted roof, a small dome, a bellfry and a renovated old building, which in the present day functions as a reception area. The area of the congregation (1748) is also fort-like with one and only entrance on the western side and no openings. In the interior, the little light that enters via the dome discreetly lights the worn hagiographies of 1756, the work of a Nicholas of Arta, and those of 1756, the work Nicholaos Chr. Paliaggas and Thomas Vrelis of Ioannina. The monastery celebrates on 20 May, the day of the return of the relics of the saint, with vespers, litany and the consecration of bread on the eve, and liturgy, meal and feasting on the day, starting with the famous kagelaris dance. A large crowd of pious people from the surrounding villages and Ioannina gathers.
*architecture, hagiography, monastery, fete, kagelaris dance