LAKKAS SOULIOU REGION/SETTLEMENTS
Communities: Aghios Andreas (Liviahovo), Aghios Nicholaos (Zaravoutsi), Alepohori Botsari, Anthohori (Kopra), Ardosi, Artopoula (Elezna), Asprohori (Gratsana), Ahladea (Toskesi), Valanidia, Georgani, Derviziana, Elafos (Dragovetsi), Zotiko (Livikista), Katamaho (Grazidani), Koumaria (Bourelesi), Lipa, Baousii, Bestia, Paleohori Botsari, Pardalitsa (Pardala), Platania (Tseritsana), Romano, Sistrouni, Smyrtia (Goulemi), Seriziana.
- AGHIOS ANDREAS:
At an altitude of 800m, located on the slope of Gorilas, Aghios Andreas is 15 km from the Egnatia odos junction at Tyria.
Forest with mixed species of trees, a variety of colours and an exceptional view of Tomaros mountain and the Souli mountains. The Transfiguration of Christ church was built in 1751 and celebrates with a fete on 6 August. The school building is also interesting. Archeologists brought to light traces of a settlement of the 4th century BC here.
- AGHIOS NICHOLAOS:
At an altitude of 500m, Aghios Nicholaos is 8 km from the junction of Egnatia odos at Tyria. Densely vegetated in spring and summer, dressed in red, orange and brown in the autumn, it is proud of its bare winter landscape and the oak forest of Aghia Marina. The ancient acropolis with a triangular castle, the well built stone bridges on the Tyrias river, the elegant St. Nicholaos church (1878), the old school are the ornaments of this small community.
At a distance of just 4 km from the Tyrias junction of the Egnatia odos, the semi-mountainous landscape of Anthohori with dense vegetation and a beautiful view, embraces the old community with the three isle basilica of the Assumption of the Virgin, built in 1934, the old school and the picturesque singe space chapel of St. Nicholaos, at the Koulouria location, built in 1819 on the ruins of an older church.
Spread amphitheatrically on a densely vegetated hill (500m altitude) and with a view the imposing Tomaros, Artopoula is 7 km from the Tyria junction of the Egnatia odos. It is an interesting community with a school, Cultural Centre Pnevmatiko and an important Christian monument, near the village, the Katamahis monastery, which is dedicated to the Birth of the Virgin. The area of the congregation of the monastery is a basilica with a dome built in 1830. It celebrates on 8 September. The gathering of 15 August is an important event.
At a distance 7km from the Tyrias junction, Asprohori is surrounded by dense vegetation with ever green and leaf shedding trees and is know for the fete of the 8 September and the gathering of the 15 August. A small ancient acropolis south of the community, named Pelaous, confirms the importance of the location in the time of antiquity.
Built at 750m altitude, Valanidia stands apart for its mountain scenery with pine forests and the unique view of the Souli and Tomaros mountains. It is 12 km from the Tyrias junction of the Egnatia odos. Its treasure: the area of the congregation of the St. Paraskevi monastery, built in 1832 on the ruins of an older church, renovated in 2006-7 and has been designated a listed building. The building of the old school is also an interesting monument of local architecture. The village celebrates with a fete on 26 July.
Some 15 kilometres from the Tyrias junction, located on the slope of the Souli mountains, among dense vegetation, Zotiko stands out. Wild horses live freely here. A spectacular view of Tomaros and the Lakka of Souli. At the Paliokastro location a section of an ancient fortification is preserved with a wall built with stones of the same size. The old school is a sample of local architecture. It celebrates with a fete on 15 August.
Varied and dense vegetation surrounds Katamahi, which is situated at an altitude of 660m, and located 12 km from the Tyrias junction. At the Agriokerasia Alysos location bronze tools of the 13th century BC were found, known by the name of The treasure of Katamahi. The ruins of an ancient acropolis are located at the Domblirou site. There is a fete on 26 July.
Built at an altitude of 450m with dense vegetation, Koumaria is located just 4 km from the Tyrias junction. The two historical christian monuments, the churches of Assumption of the Virgin and of St. Dimitrios, the school and the arched bridges on the Tyrias bridge, both listed buildings, all built by worthy masters of Ipiros, witness the architecture and history of the area.
Located on the slope of Tomaros Lippa offers an unimpeded view of Souli, Lakka Souliou and the Ambracian gulf. The stone built houses, the old elementary school which has been designated a listed building and the ethnographic museum tell the story of the history of the place. At the Pantokratoras site, the ruins of an ancient wall are located.
- TYRIA (BAOUSII):
Tyria is the capital of the Selles municipality and the location of a junction of Egnatia odos. Built on the slope of Tomaros mountain, near the Tyrias river, it is 20 from Ioannina and 30 from Igoumenitsa. A semi urban centre with a pharmacy, hostel, etc. The path for the Tomaros mountain refuge at 1450m starts here
Built on the slope of the Souli mountains Pardalitsa is known for its dense vegetation and the incredible view. Traces of an ancient wall and settlement, and ancient graves, have not yet become the object of systematic study, as is the case in other areas of Ipiros.
Platania is Known for its natural beauty: dense vegetation and a splendid view of Souli, have been immortalised by the muse that inspired the demotic song «Στην Βρύση στα Τσερίτσανα», At the Spring at Tseritsana, referring to the struggle of the people of Souli against Ali Pasha. It is located 11 km from the Tyrias junction. The building of the school is interesting.