Search for

Advanced search
Home 27 January 2021
Culture Christian monuments Epirus The Peristeri villages

St. Athanasios of Mikro Peristeri (St. Peter)
(Photo: [ M.B. Sakellariou, Epirus, Ekdotiki Athinon S.A.])
St. Athanasios of Mikro Peristeri (exterior)
(Photo: [ M.B. Sakellariou, Epirus, Ekdotiki Athinon S.A.])
St. Athanasios of Mikro Peristeri (interior)
(Photo: [ M.B. Sakellariou, Epirus, Ekdotiki Athinon S.A.])
St. Athanasios of Mikro Peristeri (the wood carved chancel screen)
(Photo: [ M.B. Sakellariou, Epirus, Ekdotiki Athinon S.A.])

Audio-Video files
No audio or video files.

Useful links
No links.

Other files
No other files.
Greek benefactors
Traditional houses and buildings of Epirus
Traditional bridges of Epirus
Publications on the traditional bridges of Epirus
Fotis Rapakousis Museum
Photographical Collections
Artists of Ioannina
Folkloric elements
Music and dancing traditions
Christian monuments
Archaeological sites and monuments
Traditional forms of Art - Professions
Folklore - customs and manners
Museum Objects
Castles - Towers
Jewish Monuments
Islamic Monuments
Ano Louros and Western Xerovouni
Ano Kalamas
Grammenochoria (the Grammeno villages)
Dodonochoria (the Dodoni villages)
Lake Pamvotis and the Nissi (the lake island)
Kourenta Ntouskara
Lakka Souli
District of Preveza
The Peristeri villages
Christian monuments: Subtopics All topics



print preview

- Zoodohou Pigis Anthohoriou Monastery:
On the right hand side of the road to Votonosi – Metsovo, just before Anthohori (after the first bridge after the village, 30’ on foot), on a slope of the Peristeri mountain, an important monument rises from among the oak trees. It is the area of the congregation of the Zoodohou Pigis monastery. The Virgin of Kiatra Rosa (red stone), as the locals call it, inspired by the red rocks to the east of the monastery, which in the past served as hermitages. The monastery, founded in the 17th century, was renovated twice 1732 and 1825. In 1820 a failed attack of the Greeks against the Ottoman army which headed to Ioannina against Ali Pasha was the pretext of the destruction of the monastery and the slaughter of monks. The area of the congregation, built in the style of Mount Athos with a dome, is decorated with frescoes of the 18th century (1765) and the 19th (1844). The complex has been reconstructed and is a listed monument. You may also. reach monastery by car.
*architecture, monastery, hagiography, listed monument

- St. Nicholaos Church of Krapsi:
Built in 1563 by the Patriarch of Constantinople Ioasaf of Krapsis, St. Nicholaos church, with the excellent signed frescoes of Georgios Frangos Kontaris has been designated a listed monument. The two artists belong to the so-called “school of Thebes” which was active in the 16th century in northwestern Greece and the Balkans and left exceptional examples at the chapel of St. Nicholaos of the Lavras monastery at Mount Athos (signed by Fragos Katelanos), the Myrtia, near Trihonoda (ascribed to Katelanos), at Myrtias monastery, near Trihonida (ascribed to Katelanos), the Dilios monastery on Ioannina island (ascribed to the artist), at the Galatakis monastery in Evia (artist not known), the Mount Meletios of Kitheronas (artist not known) and the St. Dimitrios church of Klimatia Ioanninon.
The Kontari brothers are linked with the hagiography of the western outer narthex and the northern and southern narthex of the famous Philanthropinon monastery on the island of Ioannina, while Frangos Kontaris signs the hagiographies of the Transfiguration of Christ at Klimatia Ioannina. The style artfully combines the traditions of Macedonia and the northern Balkans of the 14th and 15th centuries with the modern Cretan school and western art.
*architecture, church, hagiography, Theban school, Kontaris brothers, listed building

- Assumption of Virgin Krapsis Monastery:
Heading from Krapsi towards Anatoliki we reach the St. George church and head towards Drosohori. Shortly after the junction, a small dirt track leads after a few metres to an elevated area of Peristeri mountain with a view of Arahthos and Dirskos rivers. Among the maples trees and cornel trees, a modern stone enclosure protects a small single isle basilica of 1743, a few cells that are in ruins and auxiliary space, an underground arched area that seems to be a reservoir, and a bellfry. According to experts it is the old Assumption of the Virgin monastery that was founded in 1037.
The frescoes are the work of the well-known hagiographer Theodosios and were produced in 1809. A desk of 1734 was granted by the monk Kallinikos.
*architecture, monastery, hagiography, Theodosios of Ioannina

- St. Athanasios Church of Megalo Peristeri:
The St. Athanasios church in Megalo Peristeri is a monument of the 17th century.

- St. Nicholaos Church of Mikri Gotista:
St. Nicholaos church at Mikri Gotista is a monument of the 18th century.

- Assumption of the Virgin Church of Mikro Peristeri:
The Assumption of the Virgin church at Mikro Peristeri was built in the 17th century.

- Hrosovitsa Monastery:
Only the area of the congregation, a three isle basilica with hagiographies of the painters of Kapesovo Ioannis and Georgios who were blood brothers and a woodcut iconostasis pulpit are preserved. The hagiographies are dated 29 June 1781. The church is dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin and is the parish and cemetery church of the village. It was and is still known for the successful and popular fetes of 15 August. It has been designated a listed building.
*architecture, church, fete, hagiography, listed building