THE VILLAGES OF PERISTERI/ARCHITECTURE
- Gouras Bridge in Anatoliki:
A torrent, Goura, descends hurriedly from Peristeri mountain and flows into the Arahthos river. At its most narrow part, near Kotomista, in 1940 a stone single arch bridge was built in replacement of an older bridge (19th century) which was buried by silt. The road linking Ioannina and Syrrakos and Kalarrytes passed over this bride. The wildness of the scenery and the wise human intervention result in an astounding beauty.
- Bridge at Anthohori:
A stone single arch bridge, 5 m high, and with an opening of 7.5 m, with few arches, secured communications in the plain of Babas, a farmer of the area.
* architecture, bridge
- Kaberaga Bridge:
At a distance of just 25 km from Ioannina, near the road, a single arch stone bridge spreads calmly over the Zagoritikos river, a branch of the Vardas river.
A small arch, sunk in the earth, secures easy access. The large opening of 18m, is combined with a relatively small height, just 5 m, a convenient solution for travellers respecting the peacefulness of nature and the landscape. It owes its name to the donor Kaber Agas of Ioannina.
- Papastathis Bridge:
A dirt track, ornamented by scentful violets in spring, descends with turns and small surprises from Anatoliki to Arahthos. With a four wheel drive you can get there sooner, but you dont experience the almost otherworldly scenery. Some 2 hours on foot there and back is worth while to see one of the most beautiful bridges of Ipiros. The bridge has four arches, is 85 m long, its largest arch is 8.70 m high and the cobbled road on the surface zealously bears the traces of all those who for a period of over 200 years came and went between Ioannina and Syrrakos or Kalarrytes. It was built in 1746 with funds that the abbot of the Vyliza monastery, Agapios, with effort collected, by a master, possibly from Pramanta. Next to it was an inn where travellers could rest. Jammed on one side into the rocks, it proved its durability in the bombing of the large arch in 1942. It has been designated a listed building. Conservation works are planned.
*architecture, bridge, listed building
- Kaberagas Inn :
The inn is preserved in the present day and is near the bridge of the same name.
The building of old Elementary School in the Bara neighbourhood of Mikro Peristeri, the former Elementary School at Megalo Peristeri, the former Elementary School at the Driskos neighbourhood of Krapsi have been designated listed buildings.
- Anatoliki water mill:
The water mill of Lazokitsio in Kotomista Anatolikis operated in the present day
- Water mill, workshop with a water wheel for the cleaning of carpets and heavy wool clothing at Anthohori:
In Anthohori, a whole complex of water circulators has been designated a listed monument, while the mill is now a Museum of Water Circulation.
- Workshop with a water wheel for the cleaning of carpets and heavy wool clothing at Megali Gotista:
The complex has been designated a listed monument.
- Water mill of M. Peristeri:
The water mill down hill from the central square has been designated a listed building.
The Gerontakis residence at Prapsi and the building owned by Antigoni Christou at Megali Gotista have been designated listed monuments.
SITES OF TERRACES FOR FARMING AT ANATOLIKI:
Efforts have been made in the past few years to preserve and develop the terraces for farming at Anatoliki. In a hostile natural environment, where landslides and a precipitous relief dominate, men out of necessity and with good taste covered the area with a endless rows of terraces for farming.