Search for

Advanced search
 
Home 17 June 2019
Culture Settlements Epirus Katsanochoria

Audio-Video files
No audio or video files.

Useful links
No links.

Other files
No other files.
Topics
Greek benefactors
Traditional houses and buildings of Epirus
Traditional bridges of Epirus
Publications on the traditional bridges of Epirus
Fotis Rapakousis Museum
Photographical Collections
Artists of Ioannina
Festivals
Folkloric elements
Settlements
Music and dancing traditions
Professions
Christian monuments
Museums
Archaeological sites and monuments
Traditional forms of Art - Professions
History
Mythology
Religion
Folklore - customs and manners
Personalities
Museum Objects
Castles - Towers
Architecture
Jewish Monuments
Islamic Monuments
LOCATION
Epirus
Zagori
Kampochoria
Katsanochoria
Konitsa
Kourenta Ntouskara
Lakka Souli
Metsovo
District of Preveza
The Peristeri villages
Tzoumerka
Settlements: Subtopics All topics
There are no more subtopics under the current topic

05/02/2008
KATSANOHORIA REGION/SETTLEMENTS

comitech

print preview

- Aetorahi (Kotortsi):
Located on the slope of Xirovouni (from 700 – 900 m altitude) the community of Aetorahi with its ravines and crystal clear water is the site at its highest point, the Kastrilaki location, of traces of an old fort. From the height of Ai Vlassis, the location of the church of the same name of 1657, you can see the Arahthos ravine. From Ai Giorgis (1850), in the upper quarter, you get a panoramic view. At Lazena, below the large plane tree of the central square, a fountain of 1935 refreshes passers by while 3 well preserved stone threshing-fields, near the community, recall the recent agricultural past. St. Nicholaos church, also located in the village, was also built in the 19th century. Just 1 kilometre from Aetorahi, on the shore of a torrent, the ruined water mill of Zekos, named after its former owner, which operated until the 1970s. The village is linked with the fortunes and history of the area. In 1856 the well known benefactor Ioannis Loulis bought it from Bei Martezas. In 1912 the whole operation of the liberation of Ioannina was set up here. In 1943 the village was burned down by the occupation forces and lost a large number of its traditional buildings.
* community, churches, water mill, threshing-fields, fountains, history

- Elliniko (Lozetsi):
Built on the steep slope of a densely vegetated hill, the main village of the Katsanohoria, rewards visitors with the unique view of the Arahthos ravine, the surrounding villages and the imposing Tzoumerka. The historic Tsouka monastery, on the rock of the same name, northeast of the community, the Church of the Assumption of the Virgin, a monument of 1661 with exceptional frescoes of painters of Grammostino (1662), the Antoniadis (19th century) and Nicholaou mansion and the old plane tree of 1820, the laurel forest of Korovesi (downhill from Tsouka), the numerous fountains and two water mills, unfailingly move visitors. The village is the birth place of the sculptor Thodoros Papayiannis while one of his works is exhibited on the square.
The B’ Golden bull of Byzantine emperor Andronikos B’ Paleologos to the church of Ioannina dedicates to Ioannina Cathedral “half the village of lezetzi (= Elliniko) plus the local agora of Kasianos.” It is likely that Kasianos was the regional holder of the fief in the year 1321, the date of the composition of the golden bull. Some researchers say the etymology of the place name katsanohoria is the villages’ old leader. Another important reference to the history of the village claims that the neighbouring Tsouka monastery, was built in 1190 by the Byzantine emperor Isaakios Komninos. The recollections in the litourgic books of the churches and old books of Elliniko are also an important source.
* community, history, churches, mansions, pre-industrial monuments, modern sculpture

- Kalentzi:
With a bridge named Radosta on its central square, the Klifki waterfall - a monument of nature – and the local architecture and history – the complex of the water mill of the same name, Kalentzi is the seat of the Katsanohoria municipality. Three monuments of post-Byzantine religious art decorate the village: Aghios Nicholaos (1630), Faneromeni (1787), Birth of the Virgin (1650). The Davis, Ath. Vlahos, Tsatsos, Bazas, and Kazantzis residences are important examples of secular architecture.
* community, special natural beauty, churches, mansions, water mill complex, bridge

- Korytiani:
Two listed churches, the Assumption of the Virgin church (16th century) and St. Simeon (1622), a reconstructed water mill designated a listed monument at the Bisdeni location, a stone fountain of 1815 covered by a roof, the Kountouras mansion and various gates (of Fotini Pappa, Georgiou Skandali, Apostolou Kontoyianni, Ioannou Boukouvala, Panay. Kontra), beautiful monuments tell the story of this densely vegetated community. The history of Lambrousia, whom the son of Ali Pasha Mouhtar fell in love with, kidnapped and married, and who after the execution of the latter with success requested of the Turkish authorities not to make the village the property of a bey, confirms the reputation of the local women: They are beautiful and very dynamic.
* community, listed Byzantine monuments, watermill, threshing-fields, history-legend

- Plaisia:
Two important monuments of post-Byzantine art – Assumption of the Virgin church, with its splendid hagiographies and John the Baptist monastery, and the Elementary School, designated a listed building, are the human treasure of this village which nature has blessed with very fertile soil. There are many springs and wells in and beyond the village with terraced landscapes. The Gerei mansion of 1920 is imposing. There are gates made in good taste of Evangelos Raptis, Ioannis Raptis and Pantelis Kolokouris. There are threshing-fields at Aghios Dimitrios.
* community, churches, post-industrial monuments, terraced land

- Platanousa:
The church of Zoodohou Pigis (1956), and the listed church of St. Paraskevi (1734), the Elementary School, the water mill on the central square and the Helia location, the fountain of the central Square and the fountains of Montsara and Letsi constitute small treasures of the small community at the edge of Xirovouni.
* community, listed church, water mills, springs

- Fortosi:
With a listed post-Byzantine monument, the Panaghia Faneromeni, near the village and Aghia Paraskevi, (1960) in the village, the picturesque Fortosi village has many interesting buildings, such as the residences of Christos Christogiorgos, Kaloyiannis and Nikolaidis at Kostitsi, the Kali residence at Nistora, three threshing-fields at Patero, 4 at Kostitsi, and 3 at Fortosi, a system of 5 wells at Kostitsi, 4 wells at Fortosi, 2 wells at Patero, a water mill near Politsa bridge. The area also boasts many landscapes of natural beauty, from the Arahthos ravine to the Kostitsi laural forest.
* community, natural beauty, listed church, bridge, mansions