KONITSA REGION/CHRISTIAN MONUMENTS
- Monastery of Kladormi:
Northeast of Fourka, a downward path passes two successive bridges above a tributary river of Sarantaporos, a forest , two springs that run dry during the summer, to reach an oak-tree forest. At the end of this fascinating route: the monastery of Kladormi. The lintel of the western side of the nave bears a sign with the date 1747, the date of its construction. The icons of Panaghia Galaktoforousa [the Breast Feeding Virgin] (1702) and Ioannis Prodromos [St. John the Baptist] (1681) are particularly interesting. A big chain on the narthex reminds us of one of the old ways of treating psychopaths: this chain was used to tie people considered to be possessed...
During the period of its prosperity, the monastery supported the school of Furka. A stop for the transfer of the wounded during the Greek-Italian war, it later witnessed tragic events as a rebel court during the civil war.
The monastery is open to visitors. The key is supplied by the wardens of St. Nikolaos Furkas.
It celebrates on 8 September.
* architecture, monastery, hagiography, history
- Monastery of Molista:
On a green slope of Smolikas, 300 m away from the village of the same name, the monastery of Molista opens its gate to visitors. The fortress-like parvis, the battlements, the cells, the hospice and the famous bedroom of the Bey, a building offered by a bey healed by the Holy Spirit, together with the nave constructed in 1819, give visitors an idea of what the monasteries of that period looked like. The nave is separated from the entrance by plants and the arch-shaped lintel, its stone candelabra and its relics.
Those who suffered of mental illnesses and epilepsy were brought here to be healed.
Devoted to the Presentation of the Virgin Mary, the monastery celebrates on 21 November.
It operates with a small number of monks.
* architecture, monastery
- Monastery of St. Nikanoras:
Situated at the top of a vertical rock, the monastery of St. Nikanoras reminiscent of Meteora. Its nave, basilica with dome, was built in 1816 and was decorated by the painter V. Apostolis. At a short distance from the village Nikanor, a steep dirt road leads to a thick forest in front of the stairs (60 steps) which leads to the nave. The monastery celebrates on 7 August.
* architecture, monastery, painting, hagiography
- Monastery of Molivdoskepasti:
250 m from the Greek-Albanian borders, next to the quiet Aoos, the monastery of Molivdoskepasti imposes its lively presence it is an active monastery of the sacred Cathedral of Driinoupoli and Pogoni - with tall walls and a 15 meter dome. The monastery owes its name to the lead roof which has now been replaced by slates. Its history is lost in the early Middle Ages. According to tradition, its founder was the Byzantine emperor Constantine from Pogoni and based on an inscription in the interior of its nave, it dates back to the 7th century. The construction of the nave itself uncovers at least three phases: the small three-cornered space with the dome (11th century), the cross-roofed hall from the 14th century (funded by the emperor Andronikos Paleologos) and, finally, the open narthex which is separated from the main church by a wooden door carved with representations from the Bible, an exquisite symbol of local art. The stone remnants on the base of the elaborate 16th century wood carved chancel screen are unique. . A school for scribes operated here from the 14th century onwards. The hagiographies are from the 16th century. They cover an older hagiography from the 14th century. Its elegant covered verandah is also decorated. Only the silver bound Gospel from the 16th century remains from its rich library; it is kept by the 8th County Committee of Byzantine Museums in Ioannina. The monastery celebrates on the 15th of August.
* architecture, monastery, woodcarving, hagiography
- Monastery of Stomio:
Panaghia [The Virgin of] Stomiotissa, a monument built in 1774 and an active monastery, guards the narrow gorge of Aoos, built on a hill with a magnificent view. From the old monastery (1590) in the Paliomonastiro location , to the opposite bank of the river, parts of the chancel screen, icons and relics have been transferred to the current monastery. The church is a cross-roofed basilica. It celebrates on 8 September.
Visitors reach the monastery after a one and a half hour walk along an easy path from the bridge of Konitsa, following the left bank of the river.
* architecture, monastery, view.
- Monastery of Gura:
2 km west of Aidonohori, the Patriarchal monastery of Gura is built on several levels on the top of a huge rock. Monument of the 16th century
* architecture, monastery
- Monastery of Zerma (now Plaghia):
At a distance of 3 km from the Konitsa Kozani national road , opposite the village of Plaghia, in an oak-horn bean forest next to a spring used by animals as a watering spot, the monastery of Zerma, devoted to the Dormition of the Virgin Mary, bears the artistic characteristics of the village it is located in. Its church (1656), a three-aisled basilica with 3 domes, bears marble pilasters at the entrance, a lintel and a marble main entrance with embossed decorations. It celebrates on the 15th of August.
* architecture, monastery, festival, sculpture
- Church of St. Athanassios Klidonias :
A church built in 1617 with interesting frescoes. A steep path from todays Klidonia, requiring a one and a half hours walk. A dirt road is also available.
* architecture, monastery, wall-paintings
- Monastery of St. Anarghiri in the Klidi location:
From the bridge of Voidomatis, following the preserved path on the right side of the river, after an hours drive: the monastery of St. Anarghiri with its small cross-roofed church, its almost square dome and the 4 small battlements, built in 1658 and decorated in 1666, is set in a landscape which captivates even the most demanding nature lover. Behind the monastery: the ascetics quarters featuring impressive caves.
* architecture, monastery, natural beauty, hagiography