Search for

Advanced search
 
Home 05 December 2019
Culture Christian monuments Epirus Konitsa

A view of the church of St. Charalambos in Molivdoskepasti
(Photo: Nikos Desillas, Epirus an Aesthetic Wander Through a Greek Region, Synolo Publications, 1998, Athens)
A view of the church of the Apostles in Molivdoskepasti
(Photo: Nikos Desillas, Epirus an Aesthetic Wander Through a Greek Region, Synolo Publications, 1998, Athens)
A view of the church of the Apostles in Molivdoskepasti
(Photo: Nikos Desillas, Epirus an Aesthetic Wander Through a Greek Region, Synolo Publications, 1998, Athens)
A detail from the Hagiography of the Glorification (St. Athanassios of Klidonia)
A window with decoration (The Church of the Apostles in Molivdoskepasti)
A detail from a hagiography (The Church of the Apostles in Molivdoskepasti)
Christodoulos and Thomas Marina, Wall-paintings in the Church of St. Athanassios in Chionades, First decades of the 20th century
(Photo: [Kitsos Α. Makris, “Painters of Chionades” 65 popular painters from the village of Chionades in Epirus, Melissa Publications].)
The Monastery of Molivdoskepasti
(Photo: [Dimitris Kamaroulias, The Monasteries of Epirus, Volume A, Bastas-Plessas Publications, Athens, 1996)
The CHurch of St. Paraskevi in Likorachi
(Photo: [ Municipalty of Mastorochoria, Mastorochoria, Ella Publications])
The Temple of the Taxiarchs [Archangels] in Likorachi
(Photo: [ Municipalty of Mastorochoria, Mastorochoria, Ella Publications])
The Church of the Dormition of the Molivdoskepastou Virgin in Konitsa. This church was constructed by Andronicus Lomninos Palaiologos, the son of Anna Palaiologina, who in turn was the daughter of empereor Michael the VII, at the beginning of the 14th cen
(Photo: [ M.B. Sakellariou, Epirus, Ekdotiki Athinon S.A.])

Audio-Video files
No audio or video files.

Useful links
No links.

Other files
No other files.
Topics
Greek benefactors
Traditional houses and buildings of Epirus
Traditional bridges of Epirus
Publications on the traditional bridges of Epirus
Fotis Rapakousis Museum
Photographical Collections
Artists of Ioannina
Festivals
Folkloric elements
Settlements
Music and dancing traditions
Professions
Christian monuments
Museums
Archaeological sites and monuments
Traditional forms of Art - Professions
History
Mythology
Religion
Folklore - customs and manners
Personalities
Museum Objects
Castles - Towers
Architecture
Jewish Monuments
Islamic Monuments
LOCATION
Epirus
Ano Louros and Western Xerovouni
Ano Kalamas
Grammenochoria (the Grammeno villages)
Dodonochoria (the Dodoni villages)
Zagori
Zitsa
Lake Pamvotis and the Nissi (the lake island)
Ioannina
Kampochoria
Katsanochoria
Konitsa
Kourenta Ntouskara
Lakka Souli
Metsovo
District of Preveza
Pogoni
The Peristeri villages
Tzoumerka
Christian monuments: Subtopics All topics

06/02/2008
KONITSA REGION/CHRISTIAN MONUMENTS

comitech

print preview

- Monastery of Kladormi:
Northeast of Fourka, a downward path passes two successive bridges above a tributary river of Sarantaporos, a forest , two springs that run dry during the summer, to reach an oak-tree forest. At the end of this fascinating route: the monastery of Kladormi. The lintel of the western side of the nave bears a sign with the date 1747, the date of its construction. The icons of Panaghia Galaktoforousa [the Breast Feeding Virgin] (1702) and Ioannis Prodromos [St. John the Baptist] (1681) are particularly interesting. A big chain on the narthex reminds us of one of the old ways of treating psychopaths: this chain was used to tie people considered to be possessed...
During the period of its prosperity, the monastery supported the school of Furka. A stop for the transfer of the wounded during the Greek-Italian war, it later witnessed tragic events as a rebel court during the civil war.
The monastery is open to visitors. The key is supplied by the wardens of St. Nikolaos Furkas.
It celebrates on 8 September.
* architecture, monastery, hagiography, history

- Monastery of Molista:
On a green slope of Smolikas, 300 m away from the village of the same name, the monastery of Molista opens its gate to visitors. The fortress-like parvis, the battlements, the cells, the hospice and the famous bedroom of the Bey, a building offered by a bey healed by the Holy Spirit, together with the nave constructed in 1819, give visitors an idea of what the monasteries of that period looked like. The nave is separated from the entrance by plants and the arch-shaped lintel, its stone candelabra and its relics.
Those who suffered of mental illnesses and epilepsy were brought here to be healed.
Devoted to the Presentation of the Virgin Mary, the monastery celebrates on 21 November.
It operates with a small number of monks.
* architecture, monastery

- Monastery of St. Nikanoras:
Situated at the top of a vertical rock, the monastery of St. Nikanoras reminiscent of Meteora. Its nave, basilica with dome, was built in 1816 and was decorated by the painter V. Apostolis. At a short distance from the village Nikanor, a steep dirt road leads to a thick forest in front of the stairs (60 steps) which leads to the nave. The monastery celebrates on 7 August.
* architecture, monastery, painting, hagiography

- Monastery of Molivdoskepasti:
250 m from the Greek-Albanian borders, next to the quiet Aoos, the monastery of Molivdoskepasti imposes its lively presence – it is an active monastery of the sacred Cathedral of Driinoupoli and Pogoni - with tall walls and a 15 meter dome. The monastery owes its name to the lead roof which has now been replaced by slates. Its history is lost in the early Middle Ages. According to tradition, its founder was the Byzantine emperor Constantine from Pogoni and based on an inscription in the interior of its nave, it dates back to the 7th century. The construction of the nave itself uncovers at least three phases: the small three-cornered space with the dome (11th century), the cross-roofed hall from the 14th century (funded by the emperor Andronikos Paleologos) and, finally, the open narthex which is separated from the main church by a wooden door carved with representations from the Bible, an exquisite symbol of local art. The stone remnants on the base of the elaborate 16th century wood carved chancel screen are unique. . A school for scribes operated here from the 14th century onwards. The hagiographies are from the 16th century. They cover an older hagiography from the 14th century. Its elegant covered verandah is also decorated. Only the silver bound Gospel from the 16th century remains from its rich library; it is kept by the 8th County Committee of Byzantine Museums in Ioannina. The monastery celebrates on the 15th of August.
* architecture, monastery, woodcarving, hagiography

- Monastery of Stomio:
Panaghia [The Virgin of] Stomiotissa, a monument built in 1774 and an active monastery, guards the narrow gorge of Aoos, built on a hill with a magnificent view. From the old monastery (1590) in the Paliomonastiro location , to the opposite bank of the river, parts of the chancel screen, icons and relics have been transferred to the current monastery. The church is a cross-roofed basilica. It celebrates on 8 September.
Visitors reach the monastery after a one and a half hour walk along an easy path from the bridge of Konitsa, following the left bank of the river.
* architecture, monastery, view.

- Monastery of Gura:
2 km west of Aidonohori, the Patriarchal monastery of Gura is built on several levels on the top of a huge rock. Monument of the 16th century
* architecture, monastery

- Monastery of Zerma (now Plaghia):
At a distance of 3 km from the Konitsa – Kozani national road , opposite the village of Plaghia, in an oak-horn bean forest next to a spring used by animals as a watering spot, the monastery of Zerma, devoted to the Dormition of the Virgin Mary, bears the artistic characteristics of the village it is located in. Its church (1656), a three-aisled basilica with 3 domes, bears marble pilasters at the entrance, a lintel and a marble main entrance with embossed decorations. It celebrates on the 15th of August.
* architecture, monastery, festival, sculpture

- Church of St. Athanassios Klidonias :
A church built in 1617 with interesting frescoes. A steep path from today’s Klidonia, requiring a one and a half hour’s walk. A dirt road is also available.
* architecture, monastery, wall-paintings

- Monastery of St. Anarghiri in the Klidi location:
From the bridge of Voidomatis, following the preserved path on the right side of the river, after an hour’s drive: the monastery of St. Anarghiri with its small cross-roofed church, its almost square dome and the 4 small battlements, built in 1658 and decorated in 1666, is set in a landscape which captivates even the most demanding nature lover. Behind the monastery: the ascetics’ quarters featuring impressive caves.
* architecture, monastery, natural beauty, hagiography