Search for

Advanced search
Home 21 April 2021
Culture Architecture Epirus Konitsa

The bridge of Klidonia
(Photo: Nikos Desillas, Epirus an Aesthetic Wander Through a Greek Region, Synolo Publications, 1998, Athens)
The bridge of Konitsa
(Photo: Nikos Desillas, Epirus an Aesthetic Wander Through a Greek Region, Synolo Publications, 1998, Athens)
A drawing of the Bridge of Konitsa
(Photo: Nitsa Siniki- Papakosta, “Stone Bridges,” Prefectural Administration of Ioannina, Ioannina 2002)
1871 the Konitsa Bridge over the Aoos
(Photo: [ Municipalty of Mastorochoria, Mastorochoria, Ella Publications])
A mill which belongs to the church in Likorachi
(Photo: [ Municipalty of Mastorochoria, Mastorochoria, Ella Publications])

Audio-Video files
No audio or video files.

Useful links
No links.

Other files
No other files.
Tourism - Life nowadays
Ano Louros and Western Xerovouni
Ano Kalamas
Grammenochoria (the Grammeno villages)
Kourenta Ntouskara
Lakka Souli
The Peristeri villages
Architecture: Subtopics All topics
There are no more subtopics under the current topic



print preview


- The bridge of Konitsa:
At the exit of the gorge of Aoos, the one-arched bridge of Konitsa (1870) with an opening of 36 m and a height of 20 m, is built on the rocky slopes of Trapezitsa and Gamila and has been resisting for approximately one and a half century the force of the water and the harsh winds. It bravely resisted even an attempt to blow it up in 1913, during the Balkan wars. When the wind blows fiercely, the bell hanging from the top of the arch still warns passers-by of the dangerous passage. A miracle of art by the craftsman Ziogas Frontzos from the village Pirsogiannis and his 50 workers, it cost him 120,000 piastres, and was funded by I. Loulis, A. Papazoglou, the Liabeti brothers and residents of the area. The bridge connected Ioannina and Zagori to Konitsa and Macedonia. At the point at which the workers were bid farewell is a sculpture created by the teacher and sculptor Christos Lambrou in honor of the great local stone tradition.
*architecture, bridge, sculpture

- Bridge of Dopolitsa:
A well-built and preserved bridge, located above the tributary river of Aoos Dopolitsa at a short distance from the end of Konitsa, serves the residents of the neighboring area. It was built in 1906 and funded by G. Karagiannis from the village of Pigi.
*architecture, bridge

- Bridge of Karagiannis:
An excellent craftsman, Fotis Vrastinas, who had also participated in the construction of the clock located in the square of Ioannina and the building of the School of Zossimea
built with monies donated by Giorgos Karagiannis, the bridge located close to the springs of river Dopolitsa. Heading towards the cemetery of the village of Pighi – in a forest of Smolikas – heading towards the river, the bridge is on the left.
*architecture, bridge, Fotis Vrastinas

- The Bridge of Voidomatis:
At the exit of the gorge of Voidomatis – at the 50th km of the right side of the Ioannina – Konitsa national road – the homonymous bridge that was built three times until it was stabilized in 1853 with funding from Balkiz Hanoum, the wife of Malik Pasha, with an opening of 20 m and a height of 9 m15, a protective rail and a niche for the icon of the patron saint. It is said to be haunted by a “Bleeding Wedding”, a song that was also sung by our popular singer. Everything started from lord Stamatis who attacked the wedding procession of the Gerenis family to steal the bride. The massacre that followed was inevitable.
*architecture, bridge, folk song

- Bridge of Kontsikos:
At the 108th km of the Ioannina-Kozani national road , we follow the exit to Drossopighi. Built on huge rocks, a double-arched Bridge facilitates the crossing of Sarantaporos. According to an inscription, it was built in 1747.
*architecture, bridge

- The Bridge of Mavropetra:
At a short distance from Sarantaporos, we turn right for the village of Pournia. Beneath the village close to the road, one of the simple arches of the bridge - the other arch is covered by the road –highlights the existence of a huge black rock which gave its name to the village. The village was built in 1835. It cost 60,000 piastres and was funded by Vassiliki Kyriakouli and the residents of the area. Width 20.20 m, height 15 m.

- The Bridge of Kryoneri:
After the intersection with the village Nikanor on the right, beneath the new bridge, the modest little bridge of Kryoneri, built by Fotis Vranistas, served the nearby villages and travelers from and to Macedonia.
* bridge


-Aidonohori - Environmental park in Bourazani:
A 1,200 decare expanse hosts approximately 850 deer, wild sheep, wild boars, wild goats, roes and fallow deer. Here also starts a very interesting route: from the river spring which supplies the restored and operating water mill, where a flour mill, a gristmill, a generator and a loom are also operating, the route continues across the bank of the river Aoos, through rich vegetation which attracts birds and small mammals. Duration of route: 2 hours

- Mills:
Spring, Kefalohori Mastorohorion