Search for

Advanced search
 
Home 09 December 2019
Culture Christian monuments Epirus Kampochoria

The Monastery of Lykotrichio
(Photo: [Dimitris Kamaroulias, The Monasteries of Epirus, Volume A, Bastas-Plessas Publications, Athens, 1996)

Audio-Video files
No audio or video files.

Useful links
No links.

Other files
No other files.
Topics
Greek benefactors
Traditional houses and buildings of Epirus
Traditional bridges of Epirus
Publications on the traditional bridges of Epirus
Fotis Rapakousis Museum
Photographical Collections
Artists of Ioannina
Festivals
Folkloric elements
Settlements
Music and dancing traditions
Professions
Christian monuments
Museums
Archaeological sites and monuments
Traditional forms of Art - Professions
History
Mythology
Religion
Folklore - customs and manners
Personalities
Museum Objects
Castles - Towers
Architecture
Jewish Monuments
Islamic Monuments
LOCATION
Epirus
Ano Louros and Western Xerovouni
Ano Kalamas
Grammenochoria (the Grammeno villages)
Dodonochoria (the Dodoni villages)
Zagori
Zitsa
Lake Pamvotis and the Nissi (the lake island)
Ioannina
Kampochoria
Katsanochoria
Konitsa
Kourenta Ntouskara
Lakka Souli
Metsovo
District of Preveza
Pogoni
The Peristeri villages
Tzoumerka
Christian monuments: Subtopics All topics

07/02/2008
KAMBOHORIA OF IOANNINA/CHRISTIAN MONUMENTS

comitech

print preview

- St. Anargyron Monastery of Amfithea (Strouni):
The year of the founding of the monastery where according to Puqueville, Valaoritis, Krystallis and Salamangas Mrs Frosyni was buried, is not known. In the present the area of the congregation is preserved, the parish and cemetery church of Amfithea. It is a three isle basilica with a tiled roof, decorated in 1848.
*architecture, church, history

- St. Nicholaos Monastery of Tziora:
Some 3 km separate Vasiliki from the Tziora Monastery which is near the peak of Driskos, the chapel of St. Paraskevi and the grave of the poet Lorenzos Mavilis, who was killed by an enemy bullet in the cold morning of December 1912, in the siege of Ioannina by Greek forces. The earliest reference to the monastery is in a golden bull of the Byzantine emperor Andronikos Paleologos of 1321. The present day monastery was renovated and decorated in 1663. It is an active monastery with well preserved cells. A large plane tree and three bells complete the scene. The monastery’s area of the congregation, a single isle basilica, has noteworthy hagiographies. The monastery had a lot of property and many times was robbed in the 19th and in the 20th centuries. It has been designated a listed monument.
*architecture, monastery, hagiography, history, economy, listed building

- St. Paraskevi Monastery of Tziora:
The chapel of St. Paraskevi is built on a spring of miracle working water, which is collected in a cistern under the yard. The area of the congregation of an old monastery built in 1695 with excellent hagiographies, it has been designated a listed monument.
*architecture, church, hagiography, listed building

- Faneromenis Monastery of Vounoplaya (Zelova):
Some 200 m after the junction of the Ioannina – Igoumenitsa national road with the road of Eleousa, the Faneromeni church appears to have belonged to the monastery of the same name. It was built in 1872 and decorated in 1914 by the painter of Hionaditi Nicholaos Papakostas. A single isle basilica with an austere introspective style (small openings) it has suffered from he addition of a cement outer narthex. On the eastern side of the monastery the famous Tzontila well is preserved, an oasis for travellers who stopped at the nearby inn and the apple of discord of the residents of the two neighbouring villages of Vounoplaya and Zoodohou, who tried to claim it by all means. It celebrates on 15 August.
*architecture, church, well, inn, hagiographer from Hionaditi

- Zoodohou Pigis Monastery (Tzontilas or Zontilas):
On a treeless hill, just higher than Zoodohos, the Zoodohou Pigis monastery is guarded by its large enclosure with battlements. The area of the congregation of the monastery is preserved, a basilica with a cross-shaped roof, a dome and two rows of hagiographies, of unequal art, and a water cistern, built by some Theodoris in 1761. Large prerennial trees render cheerful the enclosure of this listed monument.
*architecture, monastery, hagiography, cistern, listed building

- St. George Monastery of Eleousa:
At the western side of the village, a single isle basilica with a sheltered verandah and a tile roof, built in 1778 (inscription of the commissioner of the building to the right of the entrance of the church) is the area of the congregation of the old St. George monastery. The humble stone built monument bears some of the best examples of the crastsmanship of Ipiros. The Prelatic icons from the great hagiographer of Kapesovo Ioannis Athanasiou, and the frescoes by the best and most famous painters of Hionaditi Mattheos and Konstantinos (1860). It has been designated a listed building.
*architecture, church, painters from Kapesovo and Hionaditis, listed building

- Dourahanis Monastery:
On the foothills of Mitsikeli, shortly before Drabatova, heading towards Logades, a high enclosure and a bellfry betray among the holly and pine trees the presence of the Dourahanis monastery. According to tradition the builder was Dourahan or Tourahan Pasha, who one cold night of 1434 crossed unharmed with his army the frozen lake of Ioannina. Ascribing his salvation to a miracle of the Virgin, he built for her a monastery bearing his name.
The monastery was burned in 1825 and rebuilt in 1830. In 1933 it was looted and its abbot was murdered. In 1974 it was looted again but it opened again in he same year with Athanasios Hadjis as abbot, who has since offered here great philanthropic and educational work. The area of the congregation of the monastery is a three isle basilica with a pronaos – women’s area, a main church and a Pulpit. It has interesting frescoes, a sculpted wooden iconstasis, pulpit and prelatic throne. It is dedicated to the birth of the Virgin and celebrates on 8 September.
*architecture, monastery, hagiography, woodcarving, history-legend

- Iliokalis Monastery:
Between Kato Dafnoula and Dafnoula, on a plateau of the western slope of Driskos, a fortress-like monastery, dedicated to the Assumtion of the Virgin, once known for the therapeutic qualities of its oaks (Puqueville). A splendid view of Ioannina lake, the plain and Mitsikeli. An old two storey building with cells on the ground floor and stables and stores in the basement and the area of the congregation, an arch-roofed basilica with a pronaos, main church and Pulpit and a smaller building, where the entrance is located. The woodcut iconostasis is the work of Anastasios Baladimas of Ioannina (1776). The hagiographies of 1888 need conservation.
*architecture, monastery, hagiography, woodcarving

- Kastritsas Monastery:
On the northwestern slope of Kastritsa hill, uphill from the ruins of an ancient temple, (the whole area is an archeological site), with a view of the lake and all the basin, is built the active Syllipsis of John the Baptist nunery. It was built in the 12th century and was among the wealthiest in Ipiros with vineyards and fields, water mills, sheep and goats, and was often looted (1789,1854,1879) and occupied. It was an Ottoman barracks in 1854 and Greek barracks in 1913, was made into an orphanage in 1916, only to become a monastery again and be deserted in 1932, following the murder of the abbot. Since 1972 it is active again with sister Filothei as abbess, who in conjunction with the nun Euniki renovated it. The area of the congregation of the monastery is of a rare style, a four conch cross-shaped church with an octagonal dome covered by hagiographies of the 17th century. It has a woodcut iconostasis. Cells, a guest room, reception hall, library, weaving and embroidery exhibition, halls with looms and a sheltered cistern for rain water comprise the complex which has been designated a listed monument. At the chapels of St. George and St. Filothei are hagiographies of St. Ioannis of Ioannina, St. Nicholaos of Metsovo, and St. Kosmas of Aitolo.
It is known for the fete of 13 September (the description of the fete by Chrystalis is interesting, written at a time the monastery was not accessed by car, but by boat over the lake that emerged in autumn and winter between Kastritsa and Ioannina).
*architecture, monastery, economy, history, geography, hagiography, weaving, fete, listed building

- Stoupenas Monastery (of the Assumption of the Virgin):
Uphill from the Perivleptos village and downhill from the Kranoula-Dikoryfo road is Stoupena monastery which was named after the donor, the wife of some Spoupis. The area of the congregation of the monastery was built in 1724, and its decoration was completed in 1734. It is a single isle basilica with four internal domes and exceptional half destroyed frescoes. The monastery also served as a sanatorium for people suffering from tuberculosis and the mentally ill, who were tied to a nail in the narthex. The nail is preserved. At the expense of the monastery in the period of Ottoman occupation the schools of Perivleptos, Kranoula, Dikoryfou, Kipon, Manssi, and Kalotas Zagoriou were supported. The monastery was destroyed, except for the area of the congregation, in 1941, by the occupation forces, and also suffered in the Civil war. The complex has gradually been renovated since the 1960s. It is a listed monument.
*architecture, church, hagiography, history, education, listed monument

- The St. George Monastery of Dourouti, the Assumption of the Virgin Church at Loggades, the Assumption of the Virgin Monastery at Perivleptos and the St. Nicholaos and St. Haralambos churches at Perama, in the region, have been designated listed Christian monuments.