THE REGION OF ZAGORI/SETTLEMENTS
Constructed at an altitude of 980 meters, in the midst of trees and running water, Greveniti, the largest village of East Zagori, has a panoramic view and continues to bear the marks other fires set to it by the forces of the occupation during World War II: a monument to those who were executed, the church of St. Demetrios and a marked absence of stone houses.
*settlement, history, church
An important cultural and intellectual center on account of the Panaghia Monastery [Monastery of the Virgin], which was built in 1700 and contains frescoes painted by Kapesovo painters dating back to 1792.
Flambounari with its very particular landscape and the unique church of St. Nicholas (1774) extends along the Tsouca Rossa tree-lined slope
This is one of the largest Pindos villages which is said to have taken its name from the rumble coming from the Aoos river running beneath its listed bridge that keeps its traditions and customs alive through dances and traditional clothing.
*settlement, natural beauty, bridge
This village has been inhabited since the 13 the century b.c. (box shaped tombs were discovered at Konismata) and overlooks the Pedinon valley. It has beautiful old mansions: the Kitsia and Kaisaris mansions (listed), the churches of the Panagia (1616), St. Nicholas and St. George, the old school which is listed, the fountains and the Folkloric Museum, which was created by sculptor Michael Oikonomides. Elafotopos was the birthplace of Gregory Kapsalis, a traditional clarinet virtuoso and humble servant of the musical tradition of Zagori.
*settlement, churches, mansions, fountains, museum, musical tradition, traditional musician.
Large mansions, cobble stoned alleyways, the famous fountain and the church of St. Minas (1770) with the library make up one of the oldest communities in Zagori (it existed prior to 1431). The Stoupena Monastery, a monument that was built in 1444, is a short walk from the village.
*settlement, church, monastery
This it the capital of Central Zagori which is surrounded by some of the most beautiful bridges in Greece: Kalogeriko, Kokorou and more. Agapios Tolis Folkloric Museum contains a large collection of jewelry, traditional clothing, utensils and more.
*settlement, museum, bridges
As it is almost invisible from the road and perched above the Vikaki gorge, Koukouli hides its treasures well. The church of the Dormition of the Virgin Mary (1788) with frescoes painted by Lazaros and the wood sculptures. The old school, the Plakidas and Asterinou Kokkorou mansions, the Gregory Kokkorou building complex (all listed), the fountains, including the famous Basia-Manthou fountain and the museum of master Kostas Lazarides which contains one of the largest collections of herbs and flowers (tel. 2653051398).
* settlement, mansion, fountains, museum
The imposing church of St. George built in 1792 with funding from the merchant Hatjimanthos Ginou, with its wood carved chancel screen, pulpit and high altar is a brilliant example of the art of the "taliadouroi" [cutters] while the ornate frescoes painted by Kapesovo artists tell the tale of the splendor this village with its imposing mansions once knew.
* settlement, church, hagiography, wood sculpture
The grey stone of the buildings grants a hermetic beauty to this well preserved settlement which flourished as early as the Byzantine era.
The church of St. Nicholas (1612), the Vrizopoulios School, the mansions and the wonderful pier which connects it through the Vikos gorge to Koukouli tell of a magnificent past which its inhabitants preserve with love, respect and passion.
* settlement, church, pier, school
In a setting of unique natural beauty, located within the protected zones of the Vikos Aoos National Park, Monodendri, situated just a few meters from the parks center in the Vikos Gorge, respectfully maintains its discreet nobility. The monastery of St. Paraskevi, perched just over the Vikos Gorge, the church of St. Minas, the plethoric hagiography with the vivid colors, the mansions of Amalia Kontodimou, Tarsistas Makriyannis, the building complex of Menelaos Themelis and P. Ladia's reservoir are all listed monuments. This village is known on account of the significant photography exhibits and the summer events the Rizarios Foundation holds here, in observance of the birthplace of the Rizari brothers, who were great benefactors. The exhibition hall within the renovated Pantazis mansion, operates year round from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and is closed on Tuesdays (tel. 26530 71 573). A creation of the foundation and the carpet school.
*settlement, religious monuments, natural beauty, mansions, reservoir, exhibitions, theater
This Zagori village bears the traces of an ancient wall along the slopes of the Gradista mountain. One of the four manuscripts of the Rigas Ferraios charta is kept here, in the Paschaliou School library, which houses the small folkloric museum. Olga Filidis listed house and the renovated reservoir in the village center attract visitors while the wonderful Vradeto Pier is a challenge to bravery and daring. The native painters of this village who created their own style of hagiography and filled 18th and 19th century churches with excellent frescoes are well known. Here, the dynamic Alexios Noutsos association of Kapesovo is active in publishing and cultural events, as it often holds musical and theatrical performances and conventions during the month of August.
* settlement, ancient wall, manuscript of the Rigas Ferraio charta, reservoir, pier, hagiography, festival.
The Zagori village located at the highest altitude: 1350 meters. Up to 1973, the only way to this village was through the stairwell bearing the same name. This invisible village with the unlimited view is the first to see snow and the last to bid it good bye each year. One half hour away, northwest of the village, lies the Beloe point: here one can enjoy the best but most dizzying view of the Vikos Gorge.
* settlement, stairwell, view, natural beauty
This is the village with the most listed mansions, 21 in all, as well as the famous three day festival celebrating the Dormition of the Virgin Mary on August 15, the listed churched of St. Nicholas and the Virgin Mary and the impressive bell tower. The insides of some of the mansions tell the story of the wealth and mobility of this villages inhabitants. Visitors stand in awe of the frescoes in the Th. Kentros mansion which depict scenes from the life and the wars of Napoleon the Great which are copies of French copperplates like those found in the Kastoria and Ambelakia mansions.
* settlement, mansions, churches, festival.
The hard to access and hard to see Papigo is one of Greeces most well preserved traditional communities and one of the oldest Zagori villages (14th century). It is divided into two districts, Megalo (Large) and Mikro (Small) Papigo which are built in a truly unique setting. The natural towers of Astrakas dominate the skyline in the tree lined gorge, where all the nightingales join in song on spring nights.
*settlement, traditional, natural beauty