THE REGION OF ZAGORI/ARCHITECTURE
- The bridge of Camber-Agha:
In a peaceful setting near the village of Miliotades in Eastern Zagori, the listed Camber-Agha bridge which is 18 meters wide and 5 meters high, extends over the Zagoritiki, a tributary of the Varda river. Funded by the Camber-Agha of Ioannina, it was used by caravans traveling towards Vovousa and Samarina as well as the surrounding villages.
- The Bridge of Ganas:
Set amid thick vegetation and built with river stones, the bridge of Ganas (1630) was mainly used by inhabitants of the village. This bridge is located after Kavallari, which is a half hours walk along a dirt road.
- The Kalota Bridge:
This 51 meter bridge with the elegant arches, located after the village of Anthrakitis, beneath Kalotas, joined Dipotamos and Frangades with Ioannina and Kalota with the watermills on the opposite bank. It was built in 1803.
- The Bridge of Pitsioni or Petsioni:
In 1818, Th. Pitsionis from Dilofo hired a builder from Konitsa to build this bridge that bears his name a few kilometers from Frangades, This is a three arch bridge, with an exceptionally high middle arch (10.50 meters) that lightly and charmingly stands over the Zagoritikos river. Next to it is a watermill that rents rooms to travelers. Listed.
*architecture, bridge, watermill
- The Bridge of Tsipiani:
A few kilometers outside Miliotades, the large arch of the listed bridge of Tsipiani throws its tall shadow(14 meters) over the Vardas river. It was built in 1875 with money donated by A. Paspaliaris and residents of Grevenitis.
- The Bridge of Vovousa:
Built in 1748 with money provided by Alexis Misiou from Monodendri, the bridge of Vovousa joins the villages two neighborhoods which are separated by the Aoos river. This is the only bridge in Epirus with a wooden retaining wall.
* bridge, wooden retaining wall
- The Misios Bridge:
From the Kokkorou Bridge, the Misios Bridge is a 20 minute walk along the banks of the river towards Koukouli. This bridge is the gateway to the Vikos gorge and joined Vitsa with Koukouli. It was built in 1748 with funds donated by Misios. This is a characteristic construction of the craftsmen of that period and its perfectly built and integrated cross-walk makes it one of the listed monuments of more recent years.
*architecture, bridge, natural landscape
- The Noutsou or Kokorou Bridge:
Once one reaches the 35th kilometer of the Ioannina-Kipon road, one is stunned by the view of the renowned Kokorou bridge which extends out among the tall rocks along the banks of the flume. It was built in 1750 with funds provided by Noutsos Kontodimos from Vradeto and repaired in 1910 with a donation from G. Kokkorou from Koukouli and the residents of the surrounding villages. Listed.
- The kalogeriko (monks) or Plakidas bridge:
Between Kipous and Koukouli, a much photographed bridge spreads its three wavy arches over the waterfall. This bridge owes its name to a monk from the Monastery of the prophet Elijah in Vitsa who paid 20,000 piastres in 1814 in order to transform it from a wooden to a stone bridge and to Alexis Plakidas from Koukouli, who paid for repairs to the bridge in 1865. This monument to traditional pre-industrial architecture is listed.
- The Kontodimos or Lazarides Bridge:
Sponsor Tolis Kontodimos from Vradeto gave his name to the bridge located at the exit of the Vikaki gorge to facilitate movement from Kipon to Koukouli. Built in 1753, this is an important specimen of the construction work carried out at the time, given the way it provides a passage over the steep rocks. The Lazarides mill operated nearby there as well. Listed.
- The Milos Bridge:
The bridge which connected the village to the mill located on the opposite bank of the Bagiotikos river is located to the right as one exits Kipon and heads towards Frangades.
The architecture blends seamlessly into the landscape. Listed.
- Vradetou Pier:
This is a cobblestone path along a steep slope leading from Kapesovo to the traditional settlement of Vradeto, the northernmost settlement of Zagori located at an altitude of 1340 meters.
* architecture, traditional, secular, pier
- The Vitsas Pier:
A cobblestone path descending into the Vikos gorge which also leads to Koukouli from the Misios bridge.
- The Pier at Koukouli:
Connects the village with Kipous through the Lazarides bridge.
Kipon, Tristenos, Frangadon. The banks of the rivers and tributaries are dispersed among their ruins.
The fountain at Rodovani Aspraggelon, the bishops fountain (1763) in Kalota, the coadjustors fountain in Papigo.
- Douvlis fountain:
Douvlis fountain is located along the border of Zagori with Miliotades. Here the sultans agents would meet the agents of the independent federation of Zagori to discuss administrative issues, since they were unable to enter Zagori territory