THE REGION OF ZAGORI/MOUNTAIN WALKS
- Routes by car:
Kalpaki-Mesovouni-Aghios Minas Aristi Vikos Aristi - Papigo.
Ioannina Aspraggeli Vitsa Monodendri Ano Pedina Kato Pedina Elafotopos Aristi - Papigo.
Aspraggeli Dilofo Kipi Negades Frangades - Leptokaria.
Kipi Koukouli Kapesovo Skamneli Gyftokambos Iliochori - Vrysohori.
Elati- Dikorfo Anthrakitis Liliotades Ambelos Tristeno Greveniti Flambourari Elatochori Makrini Kastanonas Doliani Leptokarya -- Kipi.
Vovousa Valia Calda.
- Hiking routes:
- From Monodendri, this marked path leads to the banks of the Vikos flume. Walking along the bank due north, you will reach the Megas Lakkos gorge, the iconostasis of the Holy Trinity and the Voidomati sources under Vikos village. From here, you can either walk up to Vikos or down to Papingo. Duration of Monodendri-Vikos hike: 6 hours Monodendri-Papingo: 6.30 hours.
- Monodendri Kipi along the banks of the Vikos. Sights: Misios, Kokorou and Plakidas bridges Time: 2 hours and 30 minutes.
- Kipi Tsepelovo through Vikaki Sights: Kontodimos bridge and Rogovou Monastery Time: 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Aoos River Holy Monastery of Voutsas:
Sights: Aoos River, Grevenitis forest, lake with lilies, Holy Monastery of Voutsas (7th century)Duration: 3-4 hours
- Holy Monastery of Voutsas Doliani:
Sights: The Holy Monastery of Voutsas, the bridge of Kourtia, the Vardas gorge, the wild forest of Kourtia. the church and stone bell tower of the Prophet Elijah, traditional settlement of Doliani (Byzantine church, six single arch stone bridges within the settlement, stone fountains, cobble stoned alleyways).Duration (hours): 3-4
- Doliani - Aghios Christoforos Leptokaria:
Sights: Traditional settlement of Doliani, Oak Forest and Pine Forest of Doliani, Aghios Christophoros (a peak with a stunning view), Oak Forest of Leptokaria, Rosantini fountain, Aghios Athanasios, traditional settlement of Leptokaria. Duration (hours): 2-3
- Doliani Tsipiani-Miliotades:
Sights: Traditional settlement of Doliani (Byzantine church, six stone bridges within the settlement, stone fountains, cobblestone alleyways), country churches (Prophet Elijah St. Athanasios the Apostles St. Paraskevi St. Nicholas), Kouri, Kalderousias bridge, Vardas river, Tispiani bridge, Miliotades settlement, Camber Agha bridge. Distance (kilometers):
Duration (hours): 4
- Karyes Kavallari Anthrakitis:
Sights: Oak Forest Aghios Nicholas of Karyes, settlement of Karyes. Oak Forest of Aghios Nicholas of Cavallari, Aghios Dimitrios of Kavallari, Anthrakitis, Oak Forest of Anthrakitis, stone single arch bridges of Anthrakitis. Duration: (hours): 2-3
- Kastanona Mega Lakkos, Kazarma:
Sights: Traditional settlement of Kastanonas (churches stone fountains cobblestone alleys), a good sized forest with chestnut trees and pine trees.
Mega Lakkos (small river with many falls, wild trout and heavy vegetation along the river banks), forest with very tall beech trees, Kazarma (peak located at an altitude of 1,550 meters. This peak affords a panoramic view of the villages of Central-Eastern-Western Zagori and Petroto is a short distance away (a mountain with no trees and many wild goats).
Duration (hours): 2-3