28/01/2008
IOANNINA/ JEWISH MONUMENTS

Under Construction

The Jewish Synagogue
Entering the Castle from the central gate, under the clock, a small cobbled road to the left, Ioustinianou Street, which runs parallel to the wall, leads to the Jewish Synagogue, an imposing building of 1826, worthy of the size of the formerly powerful Israeli community of Ioannina. The high stone wall with the traditional oak gate, the cheerful garden with the well - the location of the gastronomic rite of the festival of the Tent-pitching, the interior of the church with collonades, the endless rows of the names of the victims of the holocaust on marble slates, tell the story of one of the most ancient Israeli communities of Greece. In the period of German occupation the Zosimea Library was brought here, something that in a way saved the monument, while the older Synagogue of the 16th century located in the Megali Rouga outside the Castle, suffered serious damage. After the war it was demolished to permit the opening of the road which was named Joseph Eligia Street in honour of the Ioannina poet and translator, who was a member of the Israeli community.
* architecture, religious monument, synagogue, Israeli community


Audio-Video files
No audio or video files.

Other files
No other files.