KATSANOHORIA REGION/CHRISTIAN MONUMENTS
- Tsoukas Monastery:
On the edge of the Arahthos ravine, northeast of Elliniki, the wondrous Virgin of Tsouka presents a great view, while it cannot be seen from a distance. It is hidden in the unusually high enclosure, made of stones, in a rough terrain. The parish male monastery attracts a crowd of worshipers every year climaxing on the day of its fete on 8 September. Visitors enter through an imposing entrance with an arched door lintel of exceptional art and a rectangular frame with an inscription dated 1190. The founder seems to have been the Byzantine emperor Isaakios Komninos. The complex maintains in very good condition the cells, the cistern and the area of the congregation, a single space church with side areas, chambers and a low dome where they meet. Built of hewn white rectangular stones in horizontal layers it recalls the Assumption of the Virgin in the neighbouring Plaisia and Aghia Paraskevi in Patero. The bare stone superstructure of the entrance of the gallery is a witness of the quality of the constructions of the age. The frescoes of the monument, which according to the inscription were gilded in 1779, give a terminus post quem regarding its construction. The hagiographer, who is not known, seems to have belonged to the school of Kapesovo.
The monastery had a lot of property, party in Ioannina, and in the period of Ottoman domination it supported the School of Elliniko.
*architecture, monastery, hagiorgraphy, history
- Faneromenis Fortosiou Monastery:
Shortly after the junction of the Ioannina Kalentzi road and the road to Fortosi, a densely vegetated quiet hill on the left of the road zealously conceals one of the treasures of local tradition: Feneromeni church. Built in 1787 at the expense of the residents of Fortosi, Kostitsi and Nistora in the place of the area of the congregation of an old monastery of the 15th century, of which nothing has been preserved, the church is for the locals the Omphalos of Katsanohoria. The location is enchanting. At the start of spring the place is full of wild violets and a lot of other wild flowers. The stone built three isle basilica with a slanted roof, an internal dome, and a womens area was decorated by 3 different local teams: Konstantinos and Stergios from Korytiani, Nicholaos Plakydas and his son Athanasios from Fortosi and Christos (a priest) and Georgios, his blood-brother, from Korytiani and is a representative work of the school that was developed in the area in the 18th and 19th centuries. Faneromeni church has been declared a listed monument and celebrates on the 15 August with a fete that gathers the residents of Katsanohoria.
* architecture, church, local team of hagiographers, listed monument
- Assumption of the Virgin Church at Patero:
Among pine trees, cypress trees, cornell-trees, and blackberry bushes, a single isle basilica with a slanted roof and an intensely secular style, built in 1914 (by the team of the master Kyrkos of Houliarades), in the place of the area of the congregation of the old church of the 15th century. The scene is completed by two plane trees giving a good shade and two wells. The church celebrates at Zoodohou Pigis.
* architecture, church
- John the Baptist Church at Plaisia:
Between Plaisia and Pigadia is the area of the congregation of the old Saint John the Baptist monastery, a monument of 1770.
- Assumption of the Virgin Church at Plaisia:
A three isle basilica of 1634, with elements of a cross shaped inscribed church with a dome. The hagiographies of 1663 are exceptional. Rare themes related to faith and dogma are depicted. The western-style crucifiction is noteworthy.
* church, hagiography
- St. Paraskevi Church at Fortosi:
Built in 1650, St. Paraskevi church at Fortosi is a three isle basilica and an eight sided dome. The woodcut iconostasis is one of the oldest of Ipiros. The church celebrates on the 26 of July with a fete.
* church, woodcut iconostasis
- Assumption of the Virgin Church at Elliniko:
The church is located in the community. Built in 1661, the church was decorated by the hagiographers of Grammosta in 1662. There is a fete here on the 15 August.
* church, hagiographers from Gramosta
- Birth of the Virgin Church at Korytiani:
A monument of 1594, the church was decorated in 1610. A rare theme of the decoration is the depiction of Christmas verse, also depicted at the Plaka monastery.
* church, hagiography
- St. Vlasis Aetorahis Church:
At the entrance of the village, a wooded small hill is the location of the most ancient village of the village: St. Vlasios. A humble single space basilica of the Mount Athos style, built in 1657, covered with hagiographies (1788) produced by Konstantinos and his student Stergius who are also known for the decoration of the Faneromeni of Fortosi.
* church, local team of hagiographrs
The Monastery of Tsouka
(Photo: Δημήτρης Καμαρούλιας, « Τα μοναστήρια της Ηπείρου», Α Τόμος, Εκδόσεις Μπάστας- Πλέσσας, Αθήνα, 1996[Dimitris Kamaroulias, The Monasteries of Epirus, Volume A, Bastas-Plessas Publications, Athens, 1996)
No audio or video files.
No other files.